The Coolest Bunch Of Dubbers 2013 :)
*** Club meets 2013 are on the 2nd sunday of every month at the Angel pub in Watlington!! Why not come along and say hi :-) ***
*** Club meets 2013 are on the 2nd sunday of every month at the Angel pub in Watlington!! Why not come along and say hi :-) ***
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FacebookHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sup guys Rasta All club meets will be held at the Woolpack pub on the second Sunday of every month from 1pm onwards. See you there, *Trouble*

Help identifying my engine ????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LeeDubG
Dodgy Dubber
LeeDubG

Help identifying my engine ???? Empty
PostSubject: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 12:45 pm

I've been told that this is not a standard 1.8 8v, as the car was dyno'd and is running at 142 bhp i thought this was out of the ordinary, so please help identify, think i need to a bit more studying on engines lol, many thanks lee
Photobucket" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down
veedub-ush
Dodgy Dubber
veedub-ush

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 6:04 pm

LeeDubG

sorry dude no good with vee-dub anything?

pretty much a newbie to them myself?

but would just like to know if you had it dyno'd locally and how much did it cost?

veedub-ush... :p
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber
Dodgy Dubber
bridgedubber

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 8:38 am

well its definately a 2.0 8v block which will be either agg or 2e (possibly others but im not sad enough to knows codes as well) i can tell this by the breather pipe that from the bottom right of your block upto the top left of your rocker.

the head could either be a 2.0 or a 1.8 equivelent this would be more difficult to tell. effectively the same thing however some say that the 1.8 flows better.

plus if you have 140bhp id imagine your head has been port and polished (my head has been)

from the picture i cant make out what inlet manifold you have but you will most likely have a mk2 gti 1.8 8v pb version along with the injectors and fuel rail from a mk2.

you also have a mk2 gear box as well by the look of it.

your distributer could be a number of items though;

2e dizzys work with a 2e and agg block running mk2 management.
pb dizzys work if you have a tsr adapter plate.

ways of telling engines is also to look at the bonnet as 2.0 engines from mk3 golfs are tall blocks so therefore the throttle and other parts catch on the bonnet. to remedy this the part of bonnet that would cover the throttle body will usually be beaten with a hammer.

i know all of this as i have a home built 2.0 8v mk2.

if you want any help then feel free to come over to sutton bridge for a chat.
Back to top Go down
LeeDubG
Dodgy Dubber
LeeDubG

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:45 am

Thats class mate im very impressed with ur knowledge !! if only i knew as much lol your pretty much the ideal person to know lol cheers.
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber
Dodgy Dubber
bridgedubber

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 2:34 pm

i dont know everything but have loved vw's for over 10 years and have owned loads and loads of these were mk2's.

do you have a problem? and thats why you needed to know about your engine?

the hardest thing about buying such a car is that parts replacement can be hard due to many different engine's/car's parts being used.

for instance your alternater, water pump and PAS (if you have PAS) could be an auto jumble of mk2 and mk3 parts.
Back to top Go down
LeeDubG
Dodgy Dubber
LeeDubG

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 2:51 pm

jus curious on the engine but my speedo jus stopped working yesterday, it was squeaking then jus stopped working altogether, what cud this be and is it easily fixable ? yeah its a non PAS model lol gives it a bit of gurth i think haha na wud love power steering but no idea where to start.
Back to top Go down
LeeDubG
Dodgy Dubber
LeeDubG

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 3:31 pm

v-dub ush

these guys do it for 40 quid just a power run, in kings lynn, hope this helps

http://www.silenaautomotive.co.uk/rollerDyno.html
Back to top Go down
LeeDubG
Dodgy Dubber
LeeDubG

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Mate your right on the money lol just checked the engine with all the codes and stuff its a 2ltr mk3 engine 2E code sweeeeeeet :-D
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber
Dodgy Dubber
bridgedubber

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 8:25 am

the speedo works via a speedo cable.

1 end is connected to the back of the clocks, this is accessable by removing your stereo, switches and the dash facia and then finally the clocks last.

the other end goes into the top of the gearbox, this end is specific to the engine/gearbox to give correct readings. you will have standard golf gti gear at this end and these parts are available form vw dealers.

first thing to check is the gearbox end, its held in the top by a bolt (i cant remember wahts size it might be a funny head) then carefully ease it out as if its loose/broken the drive gear can fall into your gear box and that would suck.

if that end looks ok, then try the clock end. this is a pain of a job due to needing midget size hands (funnyly enough i usually get my mum to do this) to reach round the back of the clocks to ensure everythings connected as it should be.

any more questions text/ring me on 07852279219 Ben
and ill try to help.

fitting PAS is an alright job if your engines out ive done it before and so has Hasekna on here.
Back to top Go down
LeeDubG
Dodgy Dubber
LeeDubG

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Cheers bud, yeah will prob get the missus to get her hands dirty for once lol
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber
Dodgy Dubber
bridgedubber

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:07 am

yeah youll need to; the clock part is a right squeeze.

my mum used to help me all the time when i lived at home.

funniest time was her guiding an engine in and doing engine mounts up.......................good ol' girl.

otherwise i get my girlfriend to help now and then but she HATES getting her hands even remotely dirty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my engine ????   Help identifying my engine ???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help identifying my engine ????
Page 1 of 1